Wednesday, September 16, 2015

A Lucky Draw

By pure chance, I had the privilege to have a festive lunch (to mark the end of Summer Retreat) with the ordained community of the Zhe-chen monastery together with mKhan-pos (such as mKhan-po Tshe-ring-rdo-rje who happened to be in Kathmandu and mKhan-po Zla-ba) and sPrul-skus (such as sPrul-sku Padma-rig-’dzin and A-’dzom-rgyal-sras). Following the lunch, there was a draw of lottery (or a kind of lucky-draw game). Every time someone’s number was called, he or she has to walk up to the podium to receive the prize from mKhan-po Tshe-ring-rdo-rje. After the prize was received the winner had to open it in front of all. The young monks cheered “Khol, khol (Open, open)!” The elder monks have gone to play football. I have never won a lottery in my life but this time my number was called. I went up to receive my prize. The monks cheered “Khol, khol!” There were all kinds of prizes ranging from plastic lunch boxes to blankets. A girl won a package of toilet-paper rolls and monks cheered: “Khol, khol!” I was lucky to win a liturgical collection with a handmade Tibetan book-holder! As I took my seat behind sPrul-sku Padma-rig-’dzin, he whispered in my ears: “It is such a good rten ’brel!”



No comments:

Post a Comment